Along with Case, Brody ran for class president this week. For whatever reason, Brody was having a really hard time deciding what to do for his poster. Then he and Jeremy came up with this CRAZY idea to make his poster with him and I on it!
You should have see Brody and I taking pictures for the poster late Sunday night. We laughed so hard because I am so uncoordinated and dumb! It seriously took all night! In case you can't read it, here is what it says:
Brody Felstead for President
Franklin at Brimhall
(I've already told my mom I won, so please vote for me!)
We've already done the victory dance and everything!
The day of the elections I was sick to my stomach (stay tuned as to why). Brody on the other hand, was a cool as a cucumber!
All during the elections assembly, Brody and I were communicating telepathically. It was actually kind of funny! We had a plan for the speech but Brody was unsure he could pull it off.
One thing I should quickly mention about the speeches is that there are no "props" allowed. Basically, you stand at the microphone and recite your 30 second speech. It's super boring but really more fair this way as you don't get the families who spend lots of money on props and handouts. Also, the kids really have to be creative with their speeches to make them memorable. Here is what Brody did for his speech (oh I should mention too that Jeremy would NOT sit by me during the assembly. Instead he sat in a different row as far away as possible. Here is why:)
Brody: Vote Brody Felstead for president.
I am smart, kind and helpful.
I am a leader and very responsible.
ME: (stand up and YELL:) "THAT'S MY BOY, FRANKLIN'S PRESIDENT"
Brody: Mom, Mom, calm down you see…I haven't won yet yet. Guys, vote for me and keep my mom from freaking out!
Brody and Me: (dance the robot dance and look like a fool!)
Holy cow!! It was the funniest thing EVER! We looked like complete fools and EVERYBODY laughed! Brody and I were cracking up for the rest of the assembly! Oh and did I mention that I was super nervous for my little part! I have no idea how Brody and Case do this! You would have thought I was speaking in sacrament! I was THAT nervous! But guess what…Brody won the election and he is the new class president!
Here are some of the posters that the other candidates made. I have to say I was very proud of Brody this week. He was given a timeline of when each part of the election was due (poster, speech, application, etc.) He followed it to a tee, as did Case. The poster was due by Tuesday. Jeremy woke up at 3:00 that morning to pick it up from the printer. He mounted it on foam board and the boys turned it in that day. It just so happened that the teacher who is in charge of student council had a medical procedure to remove a large cancer on her nose last Friday and did not get back until Wednesday, the day after the posters were due. She hung up all the posters that were turned in on Wednesday, EXCEPT for Brody and Case's. So Brody got in the car Wednesday after school and was hysterical. He had worked hard on the poster and felt like in order to win the election, he NEEDED his poster UP! So I pulled into the office after picking up Brody and asked the secretary if she knew what was going on. She quickly called the teacher in charge and found out that because it was mounted on foam board, she was unable to "staple" it to the wall like the others. I understood and went back to the car to explain to Brody. He was not happy and claimed that it was "unfair." He was right. The students only have lunch time to see the posters and now he and Case's would only be up for 1 day before the vote. He was yelling at me and huffing and puffing about it so I calmly explained that I am not in charge and that he was right, it was not fair. Then I suggested he call the principal. I handed him the phone and the next thing I know he was leaving a voice mail for the principal. WOW! He calmly explained to the principal that he would like to meet with him in the morning and asked for a call back. About 2 hours later my cell phone rang and it was the principal. He said, "Hello Mrs. Felstead, I understand you would like to meet with me?" I told him that it was actually Brody who wanted to meet with him and that he was not home at the time. We scheduled an appointment for the next morning and said good bye. So Thursday morning rolls around and Brody and I head to the principals office. When we got there he said to us, "I have to admit, I'm a little nervous. Usually it's me calling kids into my office, but you have called ME to meet in my office." We went inside the office and Brody calmly and politely told him that he was running for student council secretary and that he has followed all the rules and that he would like it if the kids all had the opportunity to walk throughout the cafeteria BEFORE they vote so that they could see EVERYONE'S poster. He explained that his poster did not get put up due to the foam board and that he understood that, however each student voting needs the opportunity to see the posters. The principal thanked Brody for bringing this to his attention and told him he was very impressed with how he handled things and that he would talk to the teacher in charge and get back to him. And then we left. I was so proud of Brody for the way he handled things. And guess what? The principal had each teacher walk the students through the cafeteria before the election so that the posters could be seen. Way to go Brody!
More funny posters!
Cute!



No comments:
Post a Comment