Well, it was a rough first day, I'm not gonna lie. When I went to pick Case up from school today, he had that blank, glazed over look. He looked hot, tired, and worn out. I was so happy to see him! As he walked through those gates, still expressionless, I asked him, "Case, how was your day?" His ever so calm response, "I didn't like it, it was too long." I laughed it off and we went to get Brody. He was thrilled and happy as can be. So we get in the car and I start asking questions. "Who did you sit by at lunch?" "What did you have for snack?" "What friends are in your class?" "Is your teacher soooo nice?" "Case looks at me and says. "Mom, I don't want to talk." Of course Brody DOES want to talk cause he NEVER stops talking. He tells me all about his teacher, friends, the easy math they did and the class money they can earn for behaving. We get home and all you know what breaks loose. Brody starts screaming that he didn't get a Smartie from his teacher. Nobody likes him, it's not fair, we like Case more then him. He is hysterical. Case is crying on the couch because he is so tired he can't even hold himself up. He is telling me about not getting a snack because a fly was bugging him and landing on his cheese crackers which annoyed him so much that he just threw them away and went to play. He can't remember anything other then a naughty girl bit another kid on the rug and a naughty boy was grabbing another boys head and moving it all around just to bug him. Then he starts screaming and crying which honestly I'm not even sure why. I'm not sure he knew why. Eventually he screams and crys himself to sleep in Berkley's room (on top of her clean and folded laundry no less). He wakes up 15 minutes later, comes in the kitchen, and grabs on to me for dear life. Was he having a bad dream? Was he hurt? I have know idea why he is hugging me like it's the last time we will see each other. He is crying and mumbling, he won't let go. It was obvious that he was exhausted, overwhelmed, and ready for the day to be done. So Jeremy gets home and we are having dinner. Case won't join us because he is still crying and delirious. Jeremy makes him come to the table and starts asking him questions about school. All he can say is that it was way too long. Then he says, "Dad, when my teacher said we had 20 minutes until lunch time, I just put my head down like this (shows us how he is hiding his face in his arms on top of his desk.) cause I had tears coming out of my eyes. I was soooo hungry. It was so long." Then he starts crying more. My heart sank as I listened to him tell this story. I thought of what it must be like for a 5 year old to be at school all day, away from his Mom and Dad, brothers and sister. I thought of what lunch must of felt like as he sat by 2 girls he didn't know and ate. I thought of how he doesn't know how to tell time and was probably wondering when I would be coming to get him. I felt bad. It was obvious he missed me. He missed us. I know this is a typical thing for kids when they start school. Case is just so different then Brody. Brody never did this when he started school. He just went and did great. This is going to be a lot harder for Case. He is just a different kid. Being inside a classroom and having to stay focused that long is hard for him. I worry about him. I worry about what tomorrow morning will be like. Will he want to go to school, or will it be a fight to get him out the door? I hope he will be rejuvenated when he wakes up. I hope he will get to school and know a little more about what a typical day looks like. I hope his teacher will help him and be compassionate toward him. I hope tomorrow he comes home happier!
Although it was a wild and unhappy afternoon around our house, I wanted the boys to know that school is a great place. That we are happy they started school and they should be too. My friend Ashley did a cute celebration with her kids that I thought looked fun, so I did the same thing with my kidddos (thanks Ashley). I baked a cake this afternoon and after dinner, each kid got to make a wish for a happy and fun school year. They had a ball blowing out their candle and even laughed when I sang, "Happy back to school to you..." It was a great way to end the day. My wish...for a happier day tomorrow after school. Stay tuned!
Brodys wish..."For everyone to have a happy and fun school year."
Case's wish: "To learn math this year."
Ledger's wish: "I want to go to preschool."
5 comments:
You poor thing Linds. Did the kids get a back to school blessing? My Dad gives my kids one every year. I think I might need one now! Hang in there! I know Tyla's little friend was crying the whole way home yesterday when we picked her up from Kindergarten. It is just a long day for little 5 year olds and is so HOT!
Oh gosh Lindsey, I am so sorry! My heart just breaks for you - it is so hard when your kids are sad and you feel like there is so little you can do to make it better. I think you handled it really well and hopefully after the first couple of days Case will get used to the schedule and the comfort of knowing you will come and get him every afternoon. You're an awesome mom and your children are so lucky to have you!
so i started out laughing my head off at the h - e - double hockey sticks that broke loose at your house after school... then i felt bad for your little guy.
hope it gets better for him.
Lindsey, tell Case Miss Ashley is sorry that the first day was so hard! :( We wish he could have stayed at preschool forever!!
I'm glad that you liked the cake and candles idea. We had a good time with it too...
Oh, poor little Case. No fun. I really hope it's getting better for him.
On another note, I love the cake idea. I think that was a great ending to a hard day for those kiddos. You're such a great mom!
Post a Comment