Last week Brody ran for the office of school Historian. Jeremy and I were both a little shocked when he brought the information home and told us he wanted to run. Actually, I wasn't really shocked because things like this are just what Brody likes, but being that he is the new kid at school, I was surprised. The rules were very simple for the election. You had to be a fourth grader to run, you could make 1 poster on the given poster board, there was to be no campaigning around campus (you know, flyers, candy, bribes), on Friday, you would give a very short campaign speech.
Here is Brody's poster next to some of the others who were running. There was actually 3 walls of posters. Some were very creative and fun. Brody chose to go simple. I had to laugh when Brody got in the car Wednesday after school. I immediately asked him how the kids liked his poster and what he did with it, etc. He looked at me and said, "Mom, you're not gonna believe this. I took my poster to the student council teacher and she hung it up right next to the girls poster that LIGHTS UP!" He then goes on to say, "Mom...this girls poster blinks and flashes and lights up all over. Nobody is looking at my poster because they are all looking at hers!" By this time I'm confused. I replayed the rules in my head on how the election was to be run. All kinds of thoughts start running through my mind like this girl bought a digital light up board and she plugged Christmas lights into the wall. I had no idea what Brody was talking about. Finally it comes out that Kloie (bottom left corner from Brody's poster) put battery operated tube lighting around her poster to make it blink and flash. Clever right? Poor Brody was so worried that no one would notice his poster because they were looking at Kloie's. Like a good mom, I assured him that putting battery operated lights around a poster was a terrible idea because as we all know, batteries run out and then you are just left with a boring poster. Way to go Mom!!
Here is Brody waiting for the election assembly to start. I will never forget the cute look this boy got on his face when I walked up to say hi to him. It was as if he felt pure relief that someone he knew was there. I can still see his face today...a week later!
Brody and Kaden both ran for Historian this year. Kaden did a super hero poster and speech. It was cute. (Oh and Brody just told me it wasn't super hero it was Star Wars.)
(How funny does that extra arm look coming out of Kaden?)
There were about 25 kids who ran for the office of Historian. I was so mad that the school couldn't get the microphone working correctly. We literally couldn't even hear the names of the candidates because its was so muffled. Many of the other mom's that were there watching kept telling the teachers and staff that we couldn't understand what was being said, but they never did anything about it. I felt bad that all these kids had written speeches that no one could hear or understand. Here is what Brody's speech said:
"My name is Brody Felstead and I want to be your 2012 Historian. Let me tell you a little about me."
B is for Brilliant. I get good grades and have a good attendance record.
R is for Responsible. I will attend all the meetings and school activities.
O is for Outstanding. i will make sure to take good pictures and record all the events that happen.
D is for Dependable. You can count on me to do a good job as your historian.
Y is for YO!!! VOTE FOR BRO!!
Make sure you vote for me BRO-DY!
He did a great job but like I said, it was hard to understand any of the kids.
Although Brody didn't win as school Historian, he said he would like to run for an office next year. I really am proud of this boy. He is so eager to try new things. He is a hard worker and a good kid. I love this boy and am so proud of him. Way to go Bro!

No comments:
Post a Comment