
Remember the hand signs Brody learned the first week at his new school? Well, last week we had a conference with Brody's teacher to discuss how he's doing at his new school. She said he was doing well and making lots of friends. Great news to Jeremy and I. Then she mentioned a little situation that had happened that day as the kids were lining up to go home.
Apparently as the kids were in line to go home, a little boy in Brody's class said to all the other kids, "Brody's Mom is FRIGGIN' HOT!" This did not sit with with Brody who immediatly ran to the teacher in tears telling her what had been said about his Mom. She called the boys parents and he was disciplined. Well, Friday came and Brody gets in the car after school and says, "Mom, guess what C. said about you today?" I looked at him worried and asked, "what?" "In an upset voice he said, "Mom he said, Brody's Mom is HOT AS HELL!!" I was mad! I know some of you think I should take it as a compliment, but not from a foul mouth KINDERGARTNER! I didn't do anything about it right then. I needed to cool down and talk to Jeremy. I did however have a long talk with Brody and told him enough is enough. He need to tell C. that he didn't appreciate his language and that he can't talk like that around him.
After a long talk with Jeremy, who by the way has now bragged to all his friends about how "FRIGGIN" hot his wife is, we decided we needed to do something about this. I called the teacher first and told her my concerns. She said she has addressed the problem with the principal and the parents of the little boy. I told her I was going to talk to the principal and she gave me the o.k. In the meantime, Brody came home in the middle of the week and asked if (spelling it out to me) A-S-S is a bad word. (YIKES!)
So after all this, Jeremy and I met with the principal today. I have to tell you I was a little nervous. I'm used to being on the principals side talking to the parents, not the other way around. We expressed our concerns and she reassured us that she is aware of the problem and that this little boy was suspended earlier this week. It was a little disheartening to hear her say to us that he is going to be exposed to bad language the rest of his life and that as the parents we need to teach him when it is and when it is not appropriate to use it. While I agree with this, it is sad to realize that my little guy is growing up and the influences out there are so strong and powerful. How will I ever teach him that these words are not good when everyone around him is using them? This being the case, I don't think Kindergarten is the place to hear bad language (I'm sure I'll be blogging about this same topic when Brody's in 6th grade!) I feel better about having visited with the principal and I hope that this little guy will change his language soon...at least around MY Kindergartner!
Oh and by the way. The hand signs the first week of school were courtesy of this same little boy! And also, the comic at the top is not intended to offend anyone. Around this house, the "S" word is "stupid" and the "F" word is "fart."
3 comments:
Lindsey, you are so funny...I can get you the sucker recipe if you want. It really is easy. If it's any consolation, I had my own kindergarten drama with my oldest child. And she has turned out great. Brody's lucky to have such a sweet, concerned Mom. angela
Hi Lindsey, It's Kim, Saras friend.I met you at school the other night. I feel for you and Brody. The influence from home is much stronger than his friends at school at this age. Sounds like you handled it great! Unfortunately it probably isn't the last time he will go through something like that. I have had my heart broken a few times watching Tate grow...some kids are just not that nice! I don't remember kids being that mean in 2nd grade. hang in there..:)
I think I would be in the same boat as Jeremy! Although you don't want your poor little innocent 6 year old talking like that about you, let alone, saying those swear words, but I found it kind of funny and slightly twisted that this 6 year old thinks your "friggin hot"! When I was younger, we had neighbor's who's 3 year olds would say the "f" word around us. I turned out okay, I think!
Post a Comment