8/31/12

Make A Wish

 Well, we survived the first day of school...barely.  There have been many tears shed and many questions as to why I would move my kids to a new school.  The guilt has been unbearable at times.  At other times I feel that change is good.  I go back and forth.  As I write this post, it has been three weeks since my kids started at the new school.  It has gotten better for them.  I have been in close contact with each of their teachers making sure we are on track with the fast pace of the school.  Each teacher has assured me that they are doing great.  Their progress reports showed the same...except for Brody who bombed an English test and got a "D." I kinda laughed because Brody was in tears because, "now he can't be an architect when he grows up because architects can't get "D's" and now he can't run for student council and he's never gotten anything less then a "B" and on and on and on" Lucky for him the teacher let him make up the test and all is good.  As in years past, I have had a "First Day Of School" dinner and celebration.  This year we had brownies with cool candles that glow the same color as the candle.  I let the kids make a wish for the new school year and they blow out the candle.  This year we did things a bit different, due to the sadness my kids were feeling.  I let them make their wishes and we left it at that.  We didn't talk about them or discuss why we made those wishes.  I'm pretty sure that both Brody and Case wished they could go back to their old school.   So it has been three weeks since school started and here is how each are doing. 
 Brody is doing well at the new school.  Although his homework load is more then I would like he is learning tons and liking his teacher.  He is struggling with the phonograms that the rest of the students learned in kindergarten and also with his math facts.  He is determined to learn them and do well and it shows in his efforts each evening at home.  I spoke with his teacher last week and she told me, "Tell Brody to just breathe."  She sees that he is an intense kid but wants him to enjoy school too.  I love that Brody's teacher she lets them shoot rubber bands across the classroom to learn about inertia and force.  She is fun and outgoing...just what Brody needs.  Brody has decided that he wants to be in orchestra after school twice a week.  He chose to play the cello as his instrument.  I have to say...he looks super cute carrying that big instrument to school on Monday and Thursday!  Brody misses his friends terrible which breaks my heart.  He has made many new friends at the new school so hopefully he will start to feel more comfortable.
 Case's favorite thing to say each day when I pick him up from school is, "That was the worst day ever (with a big smile across his face.)" Case has this great teacher who has raised 7 boys.  I can't begin to tell you how happy I was when I found that out.  Finally a teacher that will "get" Case and his funny personality.  I have spoke to Case's teacher several times and really like her.  She is so sweet and kind and she thinks Case is "super sweet and smart".  She told me so in a phone conversation and I started crying.  I've never had a teacher (other then Miss Jody) tell me they enjoy Case and think he is smart.  His other teachers have always thought that he has a, "too cool for school" attitude.  Finally a teacher who know that he is smart and sweet, because he is! Case's recent progress report was great and he is learning so much. Like Brody, he misses his friends and asked daily, "Has it been 9 weeks now cause I want to go back to my old school." Not sure how we will handle this situation when the 9 weeks are over. I am proud of Case and hope he will want to stay even after the 9 weeks are up.
 Ledger, Ledger, Ledger...you make me smile (and cry).  This boy loves kindergarten!  He loves all the new friends he is making.  He loves eating in the cafeteria and learning phonograms.  I'm not sure how he makes it through his day without falling asleep because he never sleeps.  When he does sleep he is up at 4:45-5:00 in the morning ready to go.  I have know idea how he manages to learn but he does and has a perfect progress report to prove it.  This boys is so smart.  I am amazed at all he is learning.  Ledger is the happiest about going to school. Hopefully he will stay that way.  I love that Ledger has a very strict, no nonsense teacher.  She is very clear on how she wants things done and the kids do it.  She is good for Ledger because he really likes to argue about the silliest things right now.  She is not going to argue with Ledger and she is not going to let his charming personality interfere with her rules, procedures and discipline.  She seems like the perfect fit for Ledger.
My little sidekick and I are having oh so much fun each day.  I have to say, without the boys around, she doesn't really know what to do with herself.  She kinda just follows me around all day.  We are having fun finishing up swim lessons and getting ready to start preschool.  This girl is fun to be around. She is funny and darling wrapped up in one big package.  More on this little lady to come.

No comments: