4/26/10

Am I REALLY old enough to be doing this?

Today, this lovely machine squeezed my boobies in a way I never knew possible.  That's right ladies, today I had my first mammogram.  My OB recommended it last week at my yearly checkup because I am 35 years old ya know!  Along with the mammogram, she kindly suggested a calcium supplement for my aging bones and a vitamin D blood test to see if I am low, which would be an indicator of cancer.  Can I just say, "GETTING OLD IS THE PITTS!" Seriously...a mammogram?!  I am not old enough for mammograms yet!  I know breast cancer doesn't care how old a person is, but boy do I feel old!  For those "young" friends of mine, let me explain a little something to you about how this is done.  First, you go into the screening room where the technician kindly tells you to take your clothes off from the waist up.  She DOESN'T leave the room so if you are like me, you start peeling off the layers as fast as possible for fear she may see something.  I don't exactly know what I'm afraid of her seeing cause it's obvious she's about to see it all in a minute! Next, she slaps 2 stickers with a metal pin on top of my nipples to mark where the nipple is when she squishes my boob.  Then the fun begins.  She grabs my boob, not gently, not soft.  I'm talking GRABS it! She then squishes it onto this flat surface of the machine, continues to move my boob around until it is in just the right spot, and then pushes a button on the machine that brings the top part of the x-ray machine down to my boob so that it can be squished as flat as a pancake.  She then goes to her computer to make sure my boob is the perfect flatness and takes the picture.  The machine then releases my boob and she does the next one.  It is the weirdest thing ever!  How would you like the job of the mammogram technician?  While talking to her today, she told me that she used to think of herself as a "breast contortionist."  Now she has realized that she is "An artist"  After all, she has to get each breast perfectly shaped before taking the picture. WHAT??  What has happened here. How could I be old enough to be doing this and how on earth does this woman get my boobs this flat and squished?  I wouldn't say that having my boobs squished to the thickness of card stock hurt, but it was, "uncomfortable." When all 8 pictures were taken, the technician tells me I can put my clothes back on but again, she DOESN'T leave the room.  I start piling on the layers as fast as possible while she is talking to me about what to expect. I thank her as best I know how in this situation and get the heck out of there! It was just weird! I am so happy that I survived my first mammogram, I didn't even cry folks!! Now off to Walgreens to get me some Calcium Supplements!

5 comments:

onehm said...

I'm dying laughing! (I know that you WEREN'T laughing, but I couldn't help myself...)
THAT is one more reason that I do not go to the doctor...
:)

Glad that you survived.

Ashley Harris said...

Wow, what an experience! Doesn't sound like much fun my friend!

Sara said...

I can't believe you had to have one already. Good for you, though! Knowlegde is power. I'll take any early detection cancer test out there, please!

nevedobson said...

ouch! boobs are not meant to be flattened out into pancakes. thanks for giving me something to look forward too... haha.

Meg said...

Oh, dear, Lindsey! I'm dying here! What I am not looking forward to, I can tell you that! Good for you to go, though, it is important. :)