3/24/10

Milestones and a story about the Dumbo and the Bumbo!

Isn't it amazing to think about how many milestones there are in a kids life.  Sitting up, crawling, walking, potty training, just to name a few.  Then there are the bigger ones, first day of Kindergarten, driving, graduation.  The list is forever!  As a Mom, I am amazed at how time consuming and overwhelming these milestones can be for me.  Right now, our house is experiencing many new milestones.  Besides Ledger finally getting the potty training thing down, here are a few of the milestones happening around here.  
Brody and Case are learning to tie their shoes.  For some reason they have been obsessed with this task.  At one time, shoe tying was required in order to graduate from Kindergarten (how long ago was that Miss Jody?) Now I have a 7 and almost 5 year old who are just now learning.  What has happened?  Shoe tying is a pretty important skill right?  Is it more important for our kids to be able to sit still in their chair or tie their shoes... a task by the way that they will need for the rest of their lives!!  Apparently sitting still in their chair!  Do you know how frustrating this milestone has been?  WOW!  Little fingers sure have a hard time getting knots, bunny ears, and loops all wrapped around each other to make the perfect tie!!  This was a tough milestone for this mama!
Miss B. has learned to sit up on her own and also started eating rice cereal and bananas this week.  Sitting up has not been to big of a deal, but eating solids for the first time...double WOW!  It has to taste better then formula from a can right?  Then why do you insist on spitting it all over me and everything around you little Misses?  Why can't it just go down in a little gulp.  After all, I am only feeding you a bite big enough for an ant.  I guess since it's like shoe tying,  it's super hard until you get the hang of it.  Then it's like you've been doing it forever!  I don't know why I even bother with the rice cereal, pureed fruits and veggies any way.  If I just went straight to the El Charro beans and rice, feeding probably wouldn't be a big deal!  
Sitting up! 
As for the Bumbo that the little Misses loves so very much!  Yesterday I had her sitting on top of my kitchen island in her beloved Bumbo.  She spends lots of time in her Bumbo on my island because she is going through this weird stage where she has to see me at all times!  The minute I walk out of the room she screams and crys.  It's driving me crazy!!  Well, like the Dumbo I am, I walked out of the kitchen to help with the shoe tying milestone and I hear this THUMP!   Like a wet floppy fish, Miss B. flung herself out of the Bumbo onto my counter top.  Luckily I was right there, but it scared me to pieces! She kicked her legs happily on her tummy a little shocked herself at what she had just done.  It's a good thing I had her in the middle of my kitchen island.  I couldn't believe she could do that.  Actually I'm not surprised.  She is the wiggliest little thing ever!! She literally never stops moving!  She is BUSY! I guess I should have paid more attention to that little note written very clearly on the side of the Bumbo that reads:   PREVENT FALLS:  never leave on an elevated surface.  Hmmm..Because of this little incident, the Little Misses now spends her time in the Bumbo in my vegetable sink.  No falling out of that right?
Up next, my least favorite milestone...CRAWLING!!

1 comment:

Libby said...

Way to go boys! That is our goal around here too-when we get the time! haha. Oh little Miss B.! What a cutie she is. At least your story didn't involve a bimbo-haha. I think I'm so funny. See you tonight.