When I was a teenager (loooooong ago) I got upset with my Dad one night because I didn't have a nickname. My younger sister Ashley got the cute name of "Baby Cakes." My little brother got the appropriate name of "Meathead." I didn't have one and I was upset about it. It just so happens that my pitty party took place the day before I went to girls camp. I went to girls camp and while there, I got a letter from my Dad. It read, "Dear Ducky Poo." At the time I couldn't decide if I should be upset with my new nickname or happy. After all, I am the one who wanted the nickname. From that time on I was known as "Ducky Poo." When I found this ornament at Target this year, I knew it was the perfect ornament for the tree we decorate at my Dad's grave.
This morning we headed over to the cemetery and the kids got busy decorating the tree. As you remember from last year, I have decided that each year I will pick out 4 ornaments that remind me of my Dad.
My Dad was a Coke drinker. I have vivid memories of being at restaurants or the movies and my dad ordering a BIG Coke with extra ice.
My Dad was a total athlete. In 1964 my Dad was the quarterback at Westwood High School when they won the state championships. In 1965, his senior year, my dad broke his collar bone which resulted in him missing the rest of the season and the Westwood Warriors did not win the championships. It was a sad year for Westwood!
My Dad was an avid hunter. He loved hunting season and loved the outdoors.
Berkley was very particular about where each ornament was going.
It is so surreal being at the cemetery with my own kids telling them about my Dad. They really don't get who he is. They do know that he is my Dad, but it's all confusing to them since they have never met him.
Miss B. and I added some finishing touches on the tree. It turned out really cute with all the personalized ornaments.
There are so many decorations at the cemetery this time of year. As weird as this sounds, it is so peaceful and calm at the cemetery.






1 comment:
I love his tree & your nickname! It's so weird that I remember H.C.'s. Great memories for your kiddos. Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment