1/28/13

Saturday's = Basketball

 First thing Saturday morning, Ledger had a basketball game.  Case picked out Ledger's shorts this week, one's without pockets, so Ledger wouldn't keep his hands in them and get more into the game.  I love this picture of the coach lining up the kids so they know who their "man" is.  Ledger, as you can see, is a whole head shorter then any kid on his team...or the other team.  
 This poor kid will probably not be able to make a basket for a few more years, but boy he is sure trying hard.
 It's kinda hard to make a basket when your up against a GIANT!
 Yes, I know....I should keep quiet.  I can't help myself, I'm much too competitive to sit back.  In case you're wondering....it probably sounded something like, "GET YOUR HANDS UP LEGER!"or "GET IN HIS FACE LEDGER!"
 After Ledger's game, we came home, put laundry away, ate lunch and headed over to Brody's game.  I wasn't able to attend Brody's game last week because he and Case had a game at the same time.  I took Case and Jeremy took Brody.  I have to say...I was quite surprised at Brody during his game.  He was all over his man and hustling like I've never seen.  He played most of the game and did really well.  In case you don't know this, but Brody is not an aggressive kid.  He is not a rough and tumble kid.  He is smart, logical, and observant.  He has an amazing attention span and will sit for hours programming his Lego Mindstorm or putting together a Lego.  Although he loves playing sports, he lacks the strength and size to keep up with the other boys his age. During this particular game, Brody was fouled (I am not a basketball girl so I may be using the wrong terminology here so bear with me).  He went to the free throw line to shoot the ball and was unable to get it close to the net.  Basically is was an air ball.  The boys who were on the bench for the other team burst out into the most obnoxious loud laughter after they saw Brody miss his shot.  Although their coach quickly shut them up, it broke my heart as the mom.  (In case you are wondering, Jeremy and I never push our kids to play sports.  As a matter of fact, we strongly urged Brody to try a new sport this winter instead of basketball.  He really wanted to play a team sport so we supported that).  I don't believe Brody heard the boys loud laughter, but it was heart breaking and sad that kids think it's ok to laugh at other kids who may not be as good at something as they are. Hopefully I can teach my kids that it s not ok to make fun of someone and that all kids need to be treated with respect and love. 
Jeremy and I were really proud of Brody today.  He played hard and had a great time. 

No comments: