Every year there are a few traditions that we try to accomplish before and even after the Christmas holiday. One of them includes going to the cemetery. I realize that going to the cemetery doesn't sound very "Christmasey," but it is a good way for my kids to learn more about their Grandpa Harvey. In years past, we have had wonderful discussions while at the cemetery. Included are such things as Grandpa Harvey's favorite candy, favorite color, what he did for a job, some stories about him and I etc. etc. This year however, the conversation was a little more grim. We talked about mummies, people arising from their graves, how we are glad we are not at the cemetery and it's Halloween, all things spooky and strange. It was a little different then I had hoped but we still had fun decorating a Christmas tree to leave at the grave site. I hope that by taking my kids to the cemetery, they are able to learn more about their Grandpa Harvey and the great man that he was and still is to me! What are some of your out of the ordinary Christmas traditions?
12/22/10
Christmas Traditions
Every year there are a few traditions that we try to accomplish before and even after the Christmas holiday. One of them includes going to the cemetery. I realize that going to the cemetery doesn't sound very "Christmasey," but it is a good way for my kids to learn more about their Grandpa Harvey. In years past, we have had wonderful discussions while at the cemetery. Included are such things as Grandpa Harvey's favorite candy, favorite color, what he did for a job, some stories about him and I etc. etc. This year however, the conversation was a little more grim. We talked about mummies, people arising from their graves, how we are glad we are not at the cemetery and it's Halloween, all things spooky and strange. It was a little different then I had hoped but we still had fun decorating a Christmas tree to leave at the grave site. I hope that by taking my kids to the cemetery, they are able to learn more about their Grandpa Harvey and the great man that he was and still is to me! What are some of your out of the ordinary Christmas traditions?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment