11/11/10

Veteran's Day

Today we spent our day off with 2 of our favorite Veteran's.  If you have read my blog over the years then you know that my grandparents both served in WWII.  Their stories are awesome.  It always amazes me that they remember their time in the services like it happened yesterday.  They are 86 years old yet when they talk about the events that took place, they don't forget a detail.  It's amazing! 

 Our day started off with a carry out from El Charro.  Since my Grandma just got out of the hospital yesterday, she wasn't up for leaving the house.  After our super yummy lunch, each of the boys took turns playing songs on the keyboard.  I think both Grandma and Grandpa got a kick out of what the boys have learned this year.  They especially got excited when Brody played "I Am A Child Of God." I get pretty excited when he plays it too!  After some showing off on the keyboard, my Grandpa took the boys into the back bedroom and let them try on his military jacket.  Oh my was this exciting.  They were practically fighting over them which made me a bit nervous since they have medals and purple hearts hanging from them!! They looked so darling wearing them!  It was hard not to picture my Grandma and Grandpa in their early twenties wearing them proudly.  That is what makes their generation so wonderful.  They are proud of our Country.  They love America because they have lived through both the ups and downs.  It is truly amazing and wonderful.  I love my grandparents not only because they served our Country, but because they are such great examples to me.

After we left my Grandparents house, I dropped Case, Ledger and Miss B. off with a sitter and took Brody to see the movie Mega Mind. It was kinda nice that the others didn't want to go cause I got to spend some time with just Brody.  We had so much fun laughing and talking.  I love my one on one time with him.  I am always amazed when I talk to him.  He is so smart and insightful.  We had a great time together! I wish we had more days off of school so that I could spend quality time with each of my kids.  Maybe we should have "ditch days" each month so I can do something fun with my kiddos.  Something to defiantly think about!
Brody and GPa.
This is my Grandma's Navy jacket.  It is so itty bitty I can't even believe she ever fit in it!  Looking good Case Man!
Handsome little Ledger.  You are too cute in that jacket!
Poor Miss B. wanted to wear GPa's jacket but every time I put it on her she would fall over because it is so heavy.  Thankfully Case was there to hold her up long enough to get a picture.
Here are the medals on my Grandpa's jacket.  So amazing when you stop and think what each represents!  
  Happy Veteran's Day!

4 comments:

Sara said...

I love my one on one time with my kids! It's the best. Great way to teach the kids some of our country's history:)

Ashley Asay said...

What a great day with Grandma and Grandpa. Thanks for spending the day with them. I'm sure they loved it just as much as you guys did. Wish we could have joined you. I can't believe how big Berkley's getting.

Sarah Bevier said...

That is the best! I am feeling both jealousy and guilt as I know I need to have more days like that with them! The pictures are incredible and that is such a great opportunity for the kids. When I get back I will have to be better about finding moments like that. I'm glad they have you around!

Katie said...

What a fun day off! The kids look so cute in their jackets. One on one time is my favorite too, but hard to come by...