1/14/11

Just as I remember

I love love love oranges. Actually, I love all citrus. Oranges, grapefruit, lemons, I could eat them all day! There is nothing more delicious then an orange picked right from the tree in the cold morning hours. I grew up eating fresh picked oranges from the trees my grandpa and Dad planted when they were young boys. I come from a generation of farmers. I have many fond memories of spending time with my Dad in the orange trees. I would pick oranges with him at the house on Greenfield often. I knew where the BEST trees were for navels, minneolas and blood oranges.While picking, my Dad would pull out his little pocket knife and peel me an orange to eat. They were so juicy and good. I took for granted the freshness I was eating every December and January. A few years after my Dad died, my Mom made a huge decision and sold all of our farm land. Without my Dad to help, it was just too much for her to do on her own. We cried at the decision but knew it was for the best. The year after the citrus was sold, I found myself at Bashas buying oranges from Florida. They were dry and sour and tasted terrible! I continued doing this year after year. Finally last week, I did something that I hadn't done in nearly 5 years. Last week, I pulled into the farm on Greenfield and picked some oranges. The land is still for sale (for sale by the people who bought it from us). The orange trees are just sitting there, dying because no one can afford to water them or spray them for bugs. The weeds are tall and the old farm house has been torn down. It is different then I remember. I picked a basket of oranges and headed home. When I got home, I quickly pulled out my orange peeler and cut myself (and the little thing hanging on my leg crying) an orange. Can I just say, "YUMMMM!" It tasted just like I had remembered. It was juicy and fresh, it was perfect. I was thrilled. I think I ate about 6 oranges throughout the rest of that day. When Jeremy got home and saw the large basket of oranges he asked me where I got them. When I told him I picked them from Greenfield he quickly responded, "You know that's against the law." I did know it was against the law. I remember many days and nights my Dad would catch people in his trees picking oranges, grapefruit and lemons to either sale or keep for themselves. I could hardly believe people would do such a thing. Basically they were stealing from us, from our lively hood. I wondered how people thought it was OK to go onto someone elses property and take something without asking. But there I was doing the same thing. I don't regret what I did, in fact I've justified the whole situation in my head. My Dad planted many of the citrus trees in Mesa. If not him, his Dad, Grandpa or Great Grandpa. Somehow I feel I'm entitled to those oranges since they are kinda like family. If I don't pick them, someone else will right? All I can say is that I am totally enjoying this big basket of juiciness and I may go back next week for more!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

My Grandpa used to own an orchard out here in east mesa many moons ago. I have a few memories of going there too!! He gave his land to the church and they built a church on part of his orchard.

Now I just go buy oranges from the citrus stands on the corners. I just wish my stomach wouldn't throw such an acid fit when I ate them.

LaNell said...

I've been able to pick fresh citrus off trees in my yard my whole life. And you're right. Nothing tastes quite like a fresh orange or pink grapefruit. My memories of Christmas always involve an orange and courtship and romance smell like orange blossoms.

Kristy Treible said...

This is the best post ever! Tell Jer blah blah blah. In fact I run past those trees a couple times a week and I might bring a bag on my next run and get some myself. They sound delicious!

P.S. that was so sad watching them tear that home down.

Sara said...

Great story, Lindsey and I love that you stole those oranges!